Let’s face it. The dating world is completely different then it was ten or even 5 years ago. Online dating has gained in popularity. Because of this the skill of online flirting has never been so important.
Flirting really is an act of walking the proverbial tight rope.
If you go too far your labeled as a “sleaz bag”, If you don’t go far enough your stamped as being “wimpy” or at the very least shy. Yea, it’s complicated.
So how do you walk that tight rope just right when your online and you don’t have the use of eye contact or body language? Here’s a few pointers.
1. Be playful! Have fun and stay light-hearted. Be entertaining and try to be funny. Just make sure you use enough smiley and winky faces so the other person doesn’t miss-read your jokes. Try your best to transmit the “feel good” factor.
2. Stay confident and positive. No one likes Debby downers and confidence is always an attractive trait.
3. Compliment the other person, but only when its sincere. People like to feel good about themselves and in turn they gravitate towards others that make them feel good. If the other person compliments you respond with a simple “thank you”. Never be self deprecating . This again refers to the need to stay confidant.
4. Listen! or perhaps “read” would be a better choice of words. Pay attention to what the other person is saying and respond with appropriate questions. Get the other person to talk about themselves and make them feel like you are interested in what they have to say.
5. Don’t be rude. Number 5 is as simple as that. Flirting does not include being sexually explicit in any way. Be more creative than that. Don’t take offense if the other person isn’t responding to you. If they aren’t interested take the hint and move on to the next potential date. Always keep your dignity intact.
Flirting is a crucial step to dating. It’s important to not go too fast. Take your time and have fun meeting the other person.